posts3

MBIII ….what’s he worth?

So I hear that The Cowboys have offered Marion Barber 30 million and he wants more. There’s been much discussion on local sports talk about this.

Is Barber worth as much as someone like LT? I know all Cowboy fans love Barber, myself included. But does a RB within a proven 2 back system, that is most likely going to continue to be a 2 back system, expect to get paid as much as a single star RB?

Would he last more than 3 years if he got pounded on as much as an LT? Can’t he stay in the league longer if he’s only out there half the time? Should he take the 30 mill and count his blessings?

Things have been too quiet around here at Lonestarstruck.com and I think this is a good topic to make some noise.

Whaddayu guys and gals think about this? Let me hear from you!!

1. Kwynton
    Kwynton says:

I know he’s worth alot he’s like one of the second player’s on the team. Lets see he prolly worth $30,000

2. Jon
    Jon says:

30 mil is a bunch of money and he’s probably worth every penny but like you said “two back system” im not so sure. I love watching him play and would love to see him for another 5 or 6 years but you got to be realistic…what if age isnt nice to him?, then your screwed. Im just not sure. Kinda wish there was’nt a salary cap but then again, teams could’nt be as competitive if there wasnt. C’mon MB…just taike the deal!!!!

3. Julio
    Julio says:

30 mill is more than enough for him, if he was worth more the cowboys wouldnt be looking to draft another rb early on, or left the door open for another team to sign him, Barber just take the deal and dont be greedy other whise u will start loosing fans.

4. Shane
    Shane says:

I think he is worth more than 30 million. I mean if you really look at the big picture. He was a backup to the late JJ (thank god that he is gone) and he had more rushing yards and TDS. And not to forget he was a PRO BOWLER. The Cowboys would be DUMB to let him go!!!

5. Marvin
    Marvin says:

How much of 30 mill is guaranteed? What’s the structure of the contract? Without knowing these two things, I personally don’t feel it’s proper to suggest that MB takes deal. A running back, especially one that plays as physical as MB is considered “old” at 28. Coming of a Pro Bowl year, his stock is at its highest–He MUST do what’s best for him! That being said, the Cowboys HAVE to do what’s right for the organization. It is imperative that they remain fiscally responsible, especially with so many players contracts coming up!

6. Tiffany
    Tiffany says:

Good questions Marvin with good consideration to the subject. I hope I can answer them tomorrow!
    Thank you for writing.
    I think we should have a little more of this kind of discussion in here during the off season. You guys keep it going!

7. mason
    mason says:

yes barber is worth 40 50 maybe even 60 million dollors he should get it we cant lose him he is the best scence emmitt smith

8. Tiffany
    Tiffany says:

Ok here’s what I’ve learned:
    The Cowboys are picturing a deal more in the ballpark of what Michael Turner got in Atlanta, for six years and $34.5 million with $15 million in guaranteed cash

9. jsub
    jsub says:

nope…JJ needs to just sign/play him to a 1 year deal like they did Romo and evaluate to see if he can start and continue to produce over a 16 game season…and still be productive by game 16… The only reason he ran so well is BECAUSE he didn’t start. Lets see how role reversal works for a season before giving him ProBowl $$…

10. Marvin
    Marvin says:

jsub, i hear you loud and clear! He’s had success in the league Already! What about these elite college players getting 20-30 mill guaranteed contracts having not played a down in the NFL? Tiffany, thanks for such a great topic!

11. Raina
    Raina says:

I really like MB but, I don’t think he is worth more than 30 million come on! I totally agree with jsub!

12. Cowboy Bill
    Cowboy Bill says:

We all know MBIII is a beast. But he did split the carries with Jones. He was the backup the entire regular season. I personally think $30 million is a generous offer considering these facts. Unfortunately we can’t see into the future and every contract is a gamble. Jerry Jones should keep working at signing Marion to a long term deal. He is a crucial part of the offense. Not just as the starting RB. This guy is the heart and soul of this offense if not this whole team. He brings and energy to the game that can’t be measured in stats. BUT, he is still partially unproven. As a full time starter anyway. Hopefully this will work itself out.

13. KINGSTUNNED
    KINGSTUNNED says:

I LOVE MARION THE BARBARIAN AND THINK HE WILL BE A TREMENDOUS BACK FOR US GOING INTO THE NEXT DECADE. I ALSO THINK THE 30 MILLION DEAL IS A NICE PAYDAY FOR ANYONE. ALL OF THE PLAYERS WHO NEVER PLAYED A DOWN IN THE NFL DEMANDING 30+ MILLION IN GUARANTEED MONEY IS OUTRAGEOUS AND SELFISH. ALL THEY DO IS PROVE THAT THEY ARE ABOUT THEMSELVES AND NOT THE TEAM. I WILL USE JAMARCUS RUSSELL AS AN EXAMPLE. IN ALL WALKS OF LIFE, YOU HAVE TO PROVE YOURSELF TO EVERYONE. YOU DONT START A NEW JOB AND EXPECT TO MAKE 75 GRAND A YEAR UNLESS YOU PUT IN THE TIME TO ATTAIN YOUR DEGREE IN THAT CHOSEN FIELD. IF THAT WERE THE CASE, THEN WE WOULD ALL HAVE BETTER PAYING JOBS, RIGHT? IT’S MY OPINION, BUT IF I WERE MB3, I WOULD TAKE THE DEAL QUICKER THAN THEY COULD OFFER IT TO ME. EVERYBODY IN THE NFL GETS TO BECOME MILLIONAIRES PLAYING A KIDS GAME AND SHOULDN’T TAKE THAT FOR GRANTED. LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS SEASON FOR MY BOYS AND MB3. AND IF HE DOES GET THE BIGGER DEAL, I WILL BE HAPPY FOR HIM, BUT I WILL SUPPORT HIM EITHER WAY. I DON’T BUT $100 JERSEYS FOR THE HELL OF IT.

14. Tom
    Tom says:

I think marion should take the money that is offered to him. Yes he’s good, but he’s no emmitt smith, not yet. He should take this offer and run with it.

15. P1
    P1 says:

Hey, I love MB III like the rest of us, but he isn’t worth LT money, come on…who suggested that anyway? He is still unproven as a starter, particularly over a full 16+ game season. The way he runs, he’s bound to get hurt soon. He needs to take the 30 mill and continue in the same plan we have been using him in since he got here. Jerry will not give MB III LT type money, so he will be gone next year. Make plans now!!!! Draft D-Mac or Mendenhall this season to cover our rearends. Just my opinion. Don’t hate.

16. Danny
    Danny says:

40 or 50 million?!
    to a guy with ONE career start?
    to a guy who can probably only play 3 quarters a game because of his physical play?
    with a team that many believe should stay on a 2 back system?
    no. 30 million

17. Jay
    Jay says:

Don’t get me wrong I like Marion but 30 mil is more than enough. When Marion becomes the starting back and puts up LT numbers then he has an argument to make LT money. Yes he made the pro bowl but still as a part time backup. Lets see what he can do as a starter and then bring the contracts to the table again.

18. Barb
    Barb says:

Dallas Cowboy shot glass $5.99~
    Authentic, Autographed Marion Barber jersey $399.00~
    Dallas Cowboys Superbowl Champions — MVP: Marion Barber
    PRICELESS!!!!!

19. Robert
    Robert says:

Marion is a good running back. But worth $40 mil to $60 mil is not his range. I love him like everyone else does, but i have to be honest. Let someone else get him, because that way we get a first round draft pick and then we can get Darren McFadden. Plus have 2 other first rounders to get Chad Johnson or Roy Williams. And use the same money that we would pay Marion to pay McFadden.

20. karen meza
    karen meza says:

MB3rd is worth the money if you don’t think so u have been living under a rock!Like alot of people have said there are players who start out w/t that pay who have not even proven there self!He has damn well proven his self and more!!And I do not care what anybody says he is the most exciting player to watch since emmitt smith they better pay him and get his contract sighned and taken care of enough already!!!jerrie don’t be a dumb ass!!!!!GET ER DONE!!! or there will be alot of pissed off fans me included!!!karen