We’ve always heard the Dallas Cowboys often referred to by their most commonly known nickname, “America’s Team”.
It’s no accident why Forbes Magazine recently ranked the Dallas Cowboys as the most valuable sports franchise in the world.
As fans, we can easily accept and acknowledge these honors without ever questioning it or asking why. That’s what fans do… But for those of you out there who want to know how the Dallas Cowboys came to be the most revered franchise in sports, rivaling even the New York Yankees, here are five reasons why.
1. The Dallas Cowboys hold the record for the most consecutive winning seasons in professional football with twenty. They accomplished this amazing feat from 1966 to 1985. With the advent of the salary cap in the NFL, this record may never be broken and will most likely stand forever.
2. The Dallas Cowboys have more victories on Monday Night Football than any other team in the NFL. With those 41 wins, the Cowboys were able to showcase their excellence on a national stage and helped build a fan base that stretched far beyond the state of Texas. Everybody loves a winner.
3. The Cowboys hold the NFL record of consecutive games played in front of sold-out stadiums. The Cowboys’ streak of 160 consecutive sold-out regular and post-season games began in 1990, and included 79 straight sellouts at their home, Texas Stadium, and 81 straight sell-outs on the road. Now that’s what I call love!
4. The Dallas Cowboys are the third most recognized and most popular sports franchise in the entire world behind Manchester United (soccer) and the New York Yankees (baseball). What makes this very amazing to me is that both the Yankees and Manchester are well over 100 years old, and the Cowboys have yet to turn 50.
5. Post Season excellence is the hallmark of the Dallas Cowboys. In their 48 year history, they have been to the post season an NFL record 29 times. They also hold the NFL record for most Division Titles with 19, most NFC Championship appearances with 14, and the most Super Bowl appearances with eight. Their record five Super Bowl wins is tied by the Pittsburgh Steelers but does not include the Cowboys two championships before the AFL/NFL merger.
Simply The Best!
There ya go, Cowboys fans!