As the years pass and I get older (Did I say older?), I look back on some things that have changed in the NFL or is about to change since becoming a fan. I liked things how they were and wish I could go back in time.
- The Hall of Fame game opened the preseason schedule every year on a Saturday at 2:30 in the afternoon?
- The Regular season opened Sunday and not a Thursday night?
- When pregame was only a half hour?
- When there was no such thing as the Sunday Ticket? (Ok, this one I admit I like)
- When Sunday Night Football was a treat once or twice a year?
- When you had to sit and wait for the 10 minute ticker to pop-up during a game to show the out of town scores?
- When you couldn’t wait for the two-minute warning so you could see the Alcoa Fantastic Finish highlight?
- Commercials were not the biggest part of the Super Bowl?
- You couldn’t wait for that classic NFL Today theme song with Brent Musburger, Phyllis George, Irv Cross and Jimmy the Greek?
- All you got to watch were local games (In my case Jets and Giants) every Sunday and you got all excited because the game ended early and the station went to a different game?
- When there was no Free Agency and you never had a thought that any of the players from your team would ever leave?
- When you actually had to go to a store to buy a newspaper to read about the games and see the box scores because there was no such thing as the Internet?
And now here comes the latest change. In two days we have to wait until 4:00est for the NFL Draft to start instead of the normal noon start time. Oh, to go back in time. Maybe it was because I was just becoming a fan back in the late 1970′s and everything was so new to me, but I sure do miss those times. How about you?