There are still many months before the Cowboys kickoff the 2009 season, but is there ever a wrong time to write about America’s Team? The Cowboys just went through one of the most disappointing seasons in recent memory. The hopes were high for the team and the fans that 2008 was going to be their season to get back to the top of the league once again. I try my best to forget what happened during the 2008 season. I hope the Cowboys themselves also forget about what happened and move forward.
I’ve thought of five simple reasons why the Cowboys can make a run for the title in 2009. Yes, it’s easy for me to say simple reasons considering I’m not going through anything the players and coaches will be going through during a long season. This team has the talent to do great things, but it takes more then talent. It takes heart, it takes a spark, and it takes the players believing in each other and the system they are playing in. I believe in this team and what they can do and hopefully will do.
1. Wade Phillips will be running the defense full-time this season. Wade knows defense and can take the Cowboys defense to the next level.
2. No distraction of Hard Knocks. In my opinion this took the focus away from what the Cowboys needed to do in 2008. On my superstitious side, nothing good ever comes from teams appearing on Hard Knocks.
3. The TO Circus has left town. Yes, I know TO put up great numbers with the Cowboys and had some great plays. I can not deny that. But I’m one of those who are glad he is gone. He always seemed to be in the middle of things that divided the team.
4. Hopefully the dreaded injury bug is gone. I think the Cowboys had their share in 2008. Tony Romo, Kyle Kosier, Flozell Adams, Marion Barber, Felix Jones, Jason Witten, Mat McBriar, Terrence Newman, Roy Williams, San Hurd, Miles Austin just to name a few. Did I miss anyone??
5. This is now Tony Romo’s team. He needs to step up and lead them this season and I think he will because of one reason. See reason 3 listed above. Also when it comes to Romo I think of a quote from what some people may think is a strange movie that has no connection to football, but it fits Romo well with everything he has gone through since that playoff game in Seattle. In the movie Meet the Robinsons it was said…”From failing you learn, from success not so much”. Learn Mr. Romo from everything you have gone through the last 2 ½ seasons and get the Cowboys to where they want to be in 2009.
The 2009 version of the Cowboys will not be Super Bowl favorites, division favorites or even a Wildcard team to the so-called experts. This team needs to ignore the media the best they can this season and keep everything behind closed doors. In my opinion most of the media wants the Cowboys to fail because they are the Cowboys.
Wade Phillips can put the pieces together to get this defense to be one of the best in the league and to attack week in and week out. He has a nice combination of veterans with DeMarcus Ware, Bradie James, Terrence Newman, Greg Ellis, Ken Hamlin and young players like Mike Jenkins, Orlando Scandrick and Anthony Spencer to get the job done.
On offense, Jason Garrett’s only problem should be that he has too many weapons and can attack defenses in many different ways. With Tony Romo running the show and hopefully a healthy offensive line, they can pass or run whenever they choose. Players like Marion Barber, Felix Jones, Tashard Choice, Jason Witten, Martellus Bennett, Roy Williams, Patrick Crayton, Miles Austin and Sam Hurd.
Let’s move forward Cowboys and show the world what you can do. Forget 2007, Forget 2008. It’s a new season, a new hope. It’s time to Forget, Focus and Finish in 2009.