The Real Reasons We Failed In ’08

Last season was going great, we had our 2 headed rushing attack, Felix Jones was turning out to be a huge asset, T.O. was behaving, everything was good in Dallas… and then we had to go to Arizona.

Matt McBriar our punter who was always putting our defense in great field position with his great punting, went down in Arizona with a broken foot. Most people do not know the effect a great punter can have on a football game. Instead of the ball being put down inside the 10 or 15 yard line teams were now getting the ball on the 30 and 35 yard line thats a 20 yard difference.

Felix Jones, our future star running back, went down with a hamstring injury. Now we all love Marion Barber and believe he is one of the best in the entire league, but without a back to take some of the load off, his contributions drop considerably. Jones added a speed factor that just was not there with any other back we had on the roster.

Tony Romo also went down in the Arizona game. A broken pinky finger on his throwing hand and it is safe to say seeing how Brad Johnson and Brooks Bollinger performed, we were not prepared in the least bit. Romo is more than a QB he is a playmaker. Yes he makes mistakes, but he wins games. Brad and Brooks put our offense in handcuffs and held our team hostage for 4 weeks.

0 replies
  1. Cowboy Bill
    Cowboy Bill says:

I get what you’re saying about the injuries. They did play a huge part, no doubt. But I’m tired of making excuses for 2008.

It’s 2009. NO MORE EXCUSES.

2. James Edwards
    James Edwards says:

oh no excuses were intended I am just tired of hearing we choked and all that I know we have what it takes to succeed

3. Riggs
    Riggs says:

Injuries killed us last year…people blame our record, but blame it on just not being healthy, we would have finished a lot better if everyone stayed healthy, but thats the name of the game, this year better be different damnit..Romo needs to click and just get better under pressure.

4. Marty
    Marty says:

You left out one huge factor! There is one thing nobody ever talks about and that is the O line!!! Kyle Kozier was out all but 3 games last year and we won those games by the way and was replaced by Corey Proctor who got rocked on the line! Then Barber goes down and were down to Tashard Choice against the Steelers the number 1 defense in the league! NOw although Tashard played well as far as rushing goes, he could not block to save his life! Thats a rookie for you. So now Romo is rushed into making his decisions faster which leads to more interceptions and T.O. doesnt have time to get open like he usually does! So lets look a he facts, a healthy o line in 07 Cowboys go 13-3. To Brady plays great, but what does he and Matt Cassel have in common? A GREAT Offensive LINE!!! In my opinion if we stay healthy on the o line next year I dont care if its John Madden at QB we’ll have a great shot at the playoffs.

5. James Edwards
    James Edwards says:

Our O-Line to me has been a little bit overrated in the past few years anyway.Let me explain before you guys kill me on here lol…..if you look very closely our O-line just is not the best in the world,they just have Tony Romo back there making plays whick cuts down probably 10 sacks a season that should be sacks but Romo finds a way to get way from the defender.One prime example,the 07 season in Dallas against the Rams Gurode snaps the ball 30 yards over Romo’s head,Romo picks the ball up evades 3 or 4 defenders and picks up the first down.Now do not get me wrong we have a very talented group but Adams is old and the rest of them just are big bodies that excell in the run game.

6. Marty
    Marty says:

James I agree with you! Now take into consideration that last year our decent o line was missing one starter the whole season. Now that not so great O Line is giving up even more time for Romo. Anyway That my story I’m sticking with,

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!