Before all of you ghouls and goblins go storming out for a night of shrieks and screams, lets set the mood with some terrifying Cowboys moments of the past. Here is a spooktacular list of five ghastly Cowboys moments that were sure to make your skin crawl if you were unlucky enough to witness them live.
These are not necessarily in order of the most chilling, but feel free to tell us which terrified you the most…
1. 1999 – Michael Irvin suffers a spinal cord injury and plays his final game at Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia. Eagles fans cheered while his motionless body was carted off the field. Don’t they ever stop migrating?
2. 1978 – A wide open Jackie Smith drops what would have been a game altering touchdown pass from Roger Staubach, and the Cowboys lose Super Bowl XIII to the Steelers 35-31. It was a devastating loss that won’t be soon forgotten. I’m sorry I called you a meatloaf, Jack.
3. 1981 – In the NFC Championship game, Joe Montana hits Dwight Clark with one of the most memorable catches in NFL history to beat the Cowboys 28-27. Dubbed eternally as “The Catch”, this moment crushed the hearts of many Cowboys fans. No tears please, it’s a waste of good suffering.
4. 2006 – Tony Romo drops the game winning field goal snap with 1:19 left in the fourth quarter, and the Cowboys suffer a gut-wrenching 21-20 loss to the Seattle Seahawks. It was a devastating playoff loss that made our blood curdle. We all go a little mad sometimes.
5. 2008 – In a game the Cowboys had to win to make the post season, they get blown out by the Philadelphia Eagles 44-6 during the final game of the season. It was one of the most lopsided losses in team history. We don’t need a stretcher in there. We need a mop!
Now for all of you horror fans out there, each of these moments ends with a memorable horror movie quote. Can you guess which Halloween favorites they are from?
And finally, I leave you all with this Halloween treat which is so ghoulishly delightful.