The NFL Draft kicks off tomorrow at 6:30 p.m. CT.
NFL.com will be carrying a live stream of the draft for those of you who want to follow online. There are already plenty of rumors circulating as to what the Cowboys may or may not do. One this is for sure, there will be plenty of buzz and excitement and after the draft it wont be long until training camp starts and we all lineup to buy football tickets for a new season.
The Cowboys have half a dozen picks with the first at #27.
Round 1, Pick 27 (27)
Round 2, Pick 27 (59)
Round 3, Pick 26 (90)
Round 4, Pick 27 (125)
Round 6, Pick 27 (196)
Round 7, Pick 27 (234)
27. With all the top first round talent off the board, Jerry finds a trade partner AGAIN in Cleveland, who send their #38 overall pick in 2010 and a 3rd and 6th in 2011 to Dallas in exchange for #27 in which Cleveland lands their future QB.
38. Dallas is holding out hope that Philly doesn’t pick Nate Allen at 37. No such luck. But wait. A call comes in from the Ravens.
Restricted free agent Offensive Tackle Jared Gaither is offered up for pick #38. The value here for a potential starting tackle is fantastic, however Jerry counters with #59 and a 2011 4th. No deal.
Dallas picks Devin McCourty (CB, Rutgers) who surprisingly slid through the first round. Devin will provide excellent depth at corner and will be asked to return kicks.
59. The top three second round safety prospects in the second round (Nate Allen, Chad Jones and Morgan Burnett) are gone.
Jerry dials Baltimore’s number and offers pick 59 and a 2011 5th round pick this time for Jared Gaither.
Seeing no other offers and now coming to the end of round two, Baltimore accepts the deal.
86. Dallas sends DE Marcus Spears to Green Bay and selects John Jerry (G Ole Miss).
The Eagles, who sit at 87, are livid. Payback for drafting Nate Allen is a motha.
Dallas can comfortably send Spears away without drafting another DE high in this draft with belief that either Hatcher or Bowen will be hungry enough to finally get their shot at starting and a new contract.
90. Jordan Shipley (WR/PR Texas) has been a target of Dallas all along. The versatile former Longhorn WR finds a home with the Cowboys and will learn his position while returning punts.
125. Eric Olsen (C Notre Dame) takes Cory Procter’s roster spot as the swing C/G. Sirens go off and the crowd roars at the draft viewing party inside Cowboys Stadium. Davis and Colombo email Olsen a link to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVqgVplQG-I
196. At this point in the draft, teams are looking for backups and possibly if they are lucky enough, future competition for their starters.
I’m anticipating a strong run at O.J. Atogwe to upgrade the starting FS spot.
234. Nose Tackle Jay Ratliff needs to cut back a little bit on his snaps to last a long season with an early bye.
-2011 3rd and 6th round picks from Cleveland
-CB/KR Devin McCourty
-OT Jared Gaither
-G John Jerry
-WR/PR Jordan Shipley
-C Eric Olsen
-S Robert Johnson
-NT Kade Weston
DE Marcus Spears
2011 5th round pick