Dez Bryant as we all know was the Cowboy #1 pick in this years draft. He will be wearing #88 so he has alot to live up to since legends Drew Pearson and Michael Irvin are known for wearing the same jersey. I have no doubt that he will be able to do just that. He has the most amazing hands I have ever seen playing college ball. He always seems to know where the sidelines are and what he needs to get that all important first down.
Here is some history on our newest member of the Dallas Cowboys. Dez was born November 4, 1988 in Lufkin Texas. He attended Lufkin High School. Here are just a few of his merits in high school.
- Superprep listed him as #7 receiving prospect.
- ESPN.com choose him as America’s 29th best player
- Member of the Texas football Superteam, first team..All State Selection
- Stats is Senior year 53 receptions for 1,207 yards and 21 touchdowns.
- He ended his high school career scoring 41 touchdowns in 31 games.
Dez had his choice of college’s to attend including LSU, Nebraska, OU and Arkansas, but chose to attend Oklahoma State University. Where is majored in education.
2008 Final Stats at OSU:
- 2nd nationally with 19 touchdowns
- 3rd in the nation with 113.9 receiving yards per game
- 3rd nationally with 17.94 yards per punt return
- 2nd nationally with 9.69 points per game
- 87 receptions, 1480 yards, 19 touchdowns and 2 punt returns.
He is the highest picked OSU wide receiver since 1989.
I realize a lot of fans have doubts since he was ineligible for the of 2009 season for violating an NCAA bylaw. He failed to disclose his interaction with former Cowboy Deion Sanders. He would have been a candidate for the Heisman, no doubt in my mind. Dez doesn’t have any drug or criminal problems. He was late for a few practices and games in which Coach Gundy didn’t start him. So compared to many other questionable players who played for the Cowboys, believe me this kid is worth the pick.
A Dez quote from KLTV says it all,
” Me falling to the Cowboys, that’s the best thing that could ever happen to me. I am so happy. I’m excited. I’m ready to go to work.”
I can not wait to see what the future holds for this young man. With he, Jason Witten and Miles Austin, watch out NFL here we come!