According to the Associated Press, people familiar with the negotiations told them that the NFL and players have reached a deal to end the lockout.
The people spoke on condition of anonymity because the process is supposed to remain secret and no formal announcement has been made.
Owners overwhelmingly approved a proposal last week, but some unresolved issues still needed to be figured out to satisfy players.
The sides worked through the weekend, finally finishing the deal Monday morning, one of the people told the AP.
The NFL Players Association’s executive committee is meeting later today and is expected to begin the voting process.
What’s more, it’s being reported that teams can begin signing free agents starting today according to Adam Schefter via Twitter.
Here is a tentative schedule as to how things will shake out, although it has yet to be finalized by the Players Union.
- The new season officially starts August 2nd, next Tuesday.
- Teams can sign their own free agents today, July 25th, at 4:00 PM EST.
- Teams can start talking to unrestricted free agents today and sign them tomorrow, July 26th.
- All new contracts would not go into effect until August 2nd.
- Teams can now negotiate trades with each other effective immediately, deals become official on Saturday.
- Players will begin reporting to their teams beginning on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday.
- Every team will then play their first pre season game 14 days after their official team reporting date.
Get ready for some football everybody!