Please raise your hand if you feel better about the Cowboys after hearing Jason Garrett’s press conference yesterday? I can tell you that I raised my hand many times while Garrett was speaking, but it was only to scratch my head because I had no idea what he was talking about 99% of the time. I actually feel worse about the direction of the Cowboys now than I did before the press conference. Garrett speaking reminded me of the movie Billy Madison after Adam Sandler’s little speech to the school. The principal then said…
Mr. Madison, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
That’s how I feel about Jason Garrett at this point. I thought maybe it was just me being too critical so I watched the press conference again, but I came away with the same feelings. This team is filled with contradictions from the owner to the coaches, but yet they want us fans to buy into what they are selling. This team may want everyone to believe they have a direction, but I just don’t see it. I wrote down some notes as I listened to Garrett yesterday. These are not exact questions or answers from the press conference. I’m simply paraphrasing and this is what I came away with.
- Garrett thought the coaches that were let go did a great while with the Cowboys and he has an immense amount of respect for them, but then said he wanted to hire really, really good football coaches. What does that say about the coaches that were let go and about the amount of respect Garrett had for them while they were doing a great job for the Cowboys? It just doesn’t make sense to me.
- Asked why the Cowboys went with a new receivers coach and running backs coach, Garrett said that they had an opportunity to make a change. What does that mean?
- Garrett said that he is really excited about all the new coaches and has an immense amount of respect for them. That doesn’t mean a whole lot considering he said the same thing about the old coaches.
- Garrett was asked if he initiated the coaching changes and had the final say on the staff. He answered that is was a collective decision. So the answer was no he did not.
- How much did Jerry Jones impatience factor into the coaching changes? Garrett never gave a straight answer.
- Will Bill Callahan call plays this coming season? Garrett said that they would work through the “mechanics”. Garrett said that particular word a lot, but I really don’t understand what he means.
- When will a decision be made as far as a play caller? Garrett never gave a straight answer.
- What are the “mechanics” of finding a play caller and for calling plays? Garrett said he won’t get into details. Seriously? Why?
- Garrett also said a few times that the Cowboys would be playing a game in early August and that they would look to then to have the play calling set. As a team going through changes wouldn’t it be a good idea to have something as important as who is calling plays set well before August?
- Asked if Jerry Jones wanted Garrett calling plays? Garrett said to ask Jerry Jones.
- Garrett said that he trusts the “process”.
- When it came to talking about the new defense under Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli, Garrett just told stories about when they were all in Tampa Bay. He never got into the direction of the new defense and what to expect other than saying he was counting on more turnovers.
That was the press conference in a nutshell. A whole lot of nothing as far as this fan is concerned, but at the same time it lasted for close to an hour. At times I thought I was listening to Charlie Brown’s teacher speaking. To me Jason Garrett is just another one of Jerry Jones puppets. Maybe I’m wrong when I say this team has no direction. It’s just my opinion of course from what I read and what I hear. The Cowboys just seem to be a team lost and I don’t know if they will be able to find their way any time soon due to the structure of the team as it is currently.