Let’s list a few names, shall we?
- Barry Switzer (“We did it! We did it! We did it” … no Jimmy Johnson did it Barry!)
- Chan Gailey
- Dave Campo (as head coach)
- Norv Turner (we let him go!)
- Bill Parcells (also let him go!)
- Terrell Owens (needed to go!)
- Mike Vanderjagt (couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn!)
- Martín Gramática (don’t ask!)
- Roy Williams (the receiver – sticker shock!)
- Zach Thomas (is this where old men come to die?)
- Pac-Man Jones (enough said!)
- Ryan Leaf (I should be shot for mentioning his name!)
- Vinny Testaverde (another Social Security player!)
- Drew (my grandmother could move in the pocket better) Bledsoe
- Sean Payton (only went on to win a Super Bowl with the Saints! Under who’s mentoring? Yes, Bill Parcells!)
- Bobby Carpenter (how dare he wear number 54!)
- etc., etc., etc., (yes, we could all go on!)
Two of the best coaches, we let go (Parcells and Payton). Payton later went on to win a Super Bowl in New Orleans, while Jason Garrett relives his glorious payday and his Thanksgiving game against the Packers. “Just throw it high to Harper,” he exclaimed after the game.
I am glad that we are not as piecemeal as we used to be! Those years between ’96 and ’06 reminded us the die-hards that the Cowboys are an every two-decade team.
In this writer’s opinion, the team that takes the field in 2010 will be the best team since the ’92 – ’95 teams, IF, they can play as a team like the dynasty of the 90’s did! We need one man to step up on offense (Romo, Austin, Barber?) and another to step up on defense (Ware, Newman, Ratliff, Brooking?) It needs to be someone to keep this team [as] a team – the coach sure can’t do it! Let’s see less of Jerry on the sidelines this year.
The time to win is now! Start 88! Draft him so high and then don’t start him? Let Dez live up to that number! The pieces are there, let’s just not hope for an end of season collapse that so many Dallas Cowboys fans have become accustomed to!
Next blog – Left side of the line, and secondary …